I have to admit that the name of the recipe is terrible, but the cake is yummy! I was given this recipe by a friend and she got it from her mother, who found it on cooks.com. Her mother changed it up a bit and I changed it from there.
I will warn anyone making this of two things
1) it is downright addicting
2) despite the name – it is not exactly a cake
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin (or 25 oz fresh mashed pumpkin)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice (can also use Pumpkin Pie Spice)
- 1 box spice cake mix (can also use yellow cake mix)
- 2 sticks melted butter (unsalted – omit above salt if using salted butter)
- 1 cup pecans
- whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Mix together pumpkin, milk, sugar, and eggs until combined.
- Add salt and spices.
- Mix well.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into 9x13x2 inch pan.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over top of pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle melted butter evenly over dry cake mix.
- Sprinkle on nuts.
Bake for 50-70 minutes – until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Watch it carefully to prevent burning. You may want to cover the top with foil for the last 10-20 minutes to prevent the top from burning if the cake still needs to cook. Once cooking is complete, remove the cake from the oven and let cool. Top with whipped cream.
Note: picture above is not topped with whipped cream, so you could see the cake.