A new gadget to pick up on other people’s emotions is being developed. This device is primarily being developed for people with autism help them relate to others around them.
“The “emotional social intelligence prosthetic” device […] consists of a camera small enough to be pinned to the side of a pair of glasses, connected to a hand-held computer running image recognition software plus software that can read the emotions these images show. If the wearer seems to be failing to engage his or her listener, the software makes the hand-held computer vibrate. […]The software […] could detect whether someone is agreeing, disagreeing, concentrating, thinking, unsure or interested.” from New Scientist
But as with all new technology – other uses for it may be found. Here are my thoughts for some other potential uses for this machine:
- Personality detector: use in bars from a distance to determine if a personality exists before approaching
- Date perceptor: use when on first dates to find out if your date is really interested in you
- Spouse mood sensor: know in advance how to answer the question, “Does this outfit make me look fat?”
- Meeting amusement: discretely place the vibrating hand-held computer on your -ummm- person and enjoy your meeting (okay this may require a little extra rigging, but it would be worth it) 🙂
- Job Interview device: use at job interviews to determine if what you are saying in response to their questions is even interesting the interviewers.
Anyone have any other ideas?